MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Lethal Loophole with AEDs

Lethal Loophole with AEDs

BALTIMORE (WBFF) - A person goes into cardiac arrest, and the one person trained to use the device, doesn't.

An Ellicott City man died after that happened. Vincent Trim, 53, was playing basketball when he collapsed. An AED was just feet away.

The operator never went to retrieve it. By the time paramedics arrived, it was too late for an AED to render aid.

"Time is of the essence," according to Johns Hopkins Cardiologist Dr. Joseph Marine.

Every minute that passes your chances of survival lessens 10 percent.

AED laws vary across America. FOX45 found in Maryland AEDs are required in middle and high schools and many public swimming pools.

Lawmakers had the opportunity to pass legislation that would require AEDs in many of Maryland's restaurants, but the bill was never passed.

Instead, it was watered down to a study. The study is in memory of Joe Sheya, who died outside a restaurant along the docks on Kent Island.

Both men died within months of each other. Paramedics administered the first shock to Joe's heart 11 minutes after he went into cardiac arrest.

Ryan Killough was friends with Joe. He's also a registered nurse.

The first night Ryan and Carol Sheya met, was in the ER.

Ryan broke the news to the woman he had only heard stories about up to that point.

AEDs are easy to use and you do not need to be trained to use them. While they can be located just about anywhere, regardless of their location, someone must be trained to use it.

Trending